Saturday, February 20, 2010

Patience is the Key

I feel as if I got a very important lesson in teaching this last week. That lesson is called patience. I’ve always kind of considered myself to be a generally patient person, but I still feel like I got a good lesson in patience this week with the Dora reading.
If I look back at my teachers that I had all throughout elementary school, middle school, high school, and even college, I can only think of one or two that possessed the kind of patience that the teacher in the Dora reading possessed. I also think that it takes a special teacher to possess that kind of patience. More teachers should definitely try to utilize their patience more often too.
What I’m really saying here is that through the teacher in the Dora reading I feel like I learned a little something about patience. I learned that your students are not going to master something in five minutes, or one day, or within a couple days. You may want your students to understand something and master it immediately, but the simple fact is that they won’t. Learning takes time. I feel that I’ve always known that learning takes time, but what I learned this week is that teaching takes time too. You can’t just teach something and then move on from it, expecting that your students mastered it right away. You have to teach it over time and help them to learn it over time.
Learning takes patience, but so does teaching. I guess I only saw that one way before the Dora reading, but now I see it both ways.

Question:
So my question this week is a little different. This question was posed to me just a couple days ago, and I didn’t have an answer for it. I said I would get back to him with the answer. So maybe someone in this class can give me the insight.
We were talking about drinking and driving and this is what he asked me:
What is the difference between someone saying ‘drunk driving is bad’ and someone saying ‘drunken driving is bad?’ Basically, he wants to know the difference between drunk and drunken.
Maybe I’m reading too much into his question by thinking that there even might be an answer to that question. I don’t know if there even is a difference between saying drunk driving or drunken driving. Is there?

2 comments:

  1. "Drunken" is the actual act of being drunk. "Drunk" is an adjective describing whatever you're doing... "Drunk driving" for example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's right, Andrea. "Drunk" is an adjective... as in
    "He was drunk."

    ReplyDelete